Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hello from Kolkata!

Well, we are here.  Everything went smoothly at the Embassy.  It does pay to get their at 8:00 a.m. and be the first in line.  It doesn't open till 8:30, but as soon as the line begins to form, the process takes longer and longer.  We were in and back out by about 9:45.   The man who did our interview actually called our driver for us, so we didn't have to try to figure out how to use the phone in the waiting area.

We arrived in Kolkata an hour late due to plane delays tonight, but we are here.  You hear about all the stuff in India and wonder what you'll see.  Today we saw cattle by the side of the road, monkeys on the sidewalks, men peeing on the sides of the road, etc. and that was all just on the way to the airport!

Word of  caution to those moms getting ready to travel...  We had heard not to let your driver suggest to take you shopping because they will take you somewhere where they get a cut in the profits of what you buy.  We fell for it, however.  We were so exhausted and not paying attention and when our driver suggested we stop at an emporium on the way back to our hotel, we were for some reason thinking about a little garden area and agreed.  He took us through a small gated area and dropped us off, saying that he would see us in an hour.  We were then left alone in the middle of Delhi in a beautiful store with 5 clerks and just the two of us.  We were then subjected to the drama that only a used car salesman can portray, and ended up buying a few items just to get out of there.  I was horrified, David was amused.  On a positive note, I won't be coming home with an "authentic" Kashmir carpet, but I did get an Indian pillow cover, an Indian "black star" ring, and a rice paper Christmas tree ornament! (David and I always try to get a Christmas ornament from everywhere we travel.)

Anyway, tomorrow will be our "Gotcha Day," and I cannot even express the emotions I'm feeling, so I won't try yet.  We'll just wait and see what tomorrow holds.  Thanks especially for all your prayers.  I have felt a very strange oppression here on my spirit and I feel the need for your prayers to surround us.  Till tomorrow...

9 comments:

Fenwick 5 said...

Well now I am just plain concerned and we don't even have a referal yet! I would have bought some stuff just to get out of there. I will remember you in my prayers.I hope you have a great day tomorrow.
I understand what you are saying about oppression in your spirit. You will be okay.
Some good friends of ours told we we needed to be PREPARED!
Looking forward to pictures of Gotcha Day!

ColleenC said...

Thinking of you as you get so close to your little guy! Hope the rest of your trip is peaceful and wonderful!

this One's for the girls said...

Sorry you had the coerced shopping experience. I would've been a 'deer in the headlights' too. :o)

We will pray for you both as you count down the hours until you meet your son.
-- Nancy

Kristi W. said...

Hang in there, Candice! Nothing can prepare you for the culture shock the first time you go...but as you are there for a while and you aren't so tired from jet lag, I bet you'll start to feel more at ease. I'll be praying for that. I'm so excited that tomorrow is THE DAY!!!! I will be blog stalking first chance I get.
:) Kristi

Julie & Patrick said...

Every last detail is part of the wonderful journey and an interesting part of the story years from now. Enjoy your time!!!

Another eager blog stalker anxiously awaiting your next post!

Julie R

The Pfeiffer Family said...

So happy to hear that you made it to Kolkata safe. Sounds like the Embassy day was a breeze. Sorry you didn't have a better shopping experience, hopefully you can shop again where you want too. I am so excited for you to meet your son face to face. I will be checking your blog for the latest details. You are in my prayers.

April :-)

Amy said...

So glad you made it safely! I am taking notes - wow what experiences :). Can't wait to hear about your gotcha day!

Cheri said...

love you sis! i hadn't seen that newest picture until now and it made me want to cry! i can't wait until you guys get home and until i get to see my little nephew. you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers! i love you!

Sara said...

We are definitely praying for you guys! Can't wait to see pictures of Gotcha Day!