Wednesday, July 22, 2009

If truth be told...

Don't let this adorable little face (wearing his sister's sunglasses) fool you!  If truth be told, he is WEARING ME OUT! :)

It has nothing to do with adopting a child, and everything to do with being a mother of "4!"  I've told my husband from the beginning that I wanted to go back to India and adopt a little sister for Micah.  However, after last week, I told him I'm done.  Am I too old, too tired, too unorganized...all of the above? :)

My mom says that it is because Micah is brilliant, and she is not biased at all. :) Whatever it is, this curious little boy is keeping me on my toes.
  • My other children like to sleep in...Micah is awake by 6 or 6:30 a.m. wanting his honeynut cheerios.
  • He climbs anything he can pull himself up onto...including the kitchen table, the top bunk, out of his eating booster seat, etc.
  • He empties out the garbage, my purse, the pantry, the kitchen drawers, the dresser drawers, the laundry baskets, the bathroom cabinets...oh, yes, he has figured out how to get around our current child safety locks.
  • He loves water...drinking the bath water, splashing in the toilet, and pressing his soft-topped sippie cup upside down on the floor so that the water all runs out.
  • He loves anything electronic...calling friends on my cell phone, changing the channels and messing up our cable channels with the remote, turning off the answering machine and deleting our messages.
  • He has a sweet tooth and all day long walks me to the cabinet where he knows we "hide" the M&M's.
As I read this list, I realize that it may make me sound like a bad mother.  However, I spend most of my day stopping him from doing the above so that makes me a good mother, right?  Well, a very tired one at least. :)  Who knew a 1 year old could have this much energy and curiosity? 

8 comments:

Traci said...

I love the post. He actually sounds very much like my boys when they were that age. I agree that it's exhausting. At the same time, it's fantastic that he is so mobile and curious -- both good signs of a healthy boy! Hang in there!

sandwichinwi said...

Just found your blog and he sounds exactly like my little ball of energy who is FOUR! Hang on to your hat!

And I can vouch for the fact that 5 is a great number to have! Go for the sister!

Blessings,
Sandwich, mama to TWO wonderful sons from India

Amy said...

My husband and I are laughing reading your post. Micah is Simeon's twin - oh my goodness! He does all of those things and I am feeling run down (and I only have one). I can't believe he is not even 2 yet! Wow, I totally feel you and I actually had a rough day and needed to read your post ;)

jasonliberty said...

I am cracking up reading this he is most certainly all boy! I wish I could tell you it gets better but my little boy is 13 now and its been one heck of a ride! But I wouldn't trade one second of it.

Liberty

ColleenC said...

Oh I SOOO know how you feel! I always assumed we'd go for #4 but am thinking lately that I am DONE! My toddler boy is by far my toughest kid- sweet, cuddly, smart and ALWAYS moving, he's also a Houdini with those child locks and belt buckles (to be honest I've given up and just watch him like a hawk and lock whatever doors I can with a deadbolt!)Those boys better appreciate us Mamas someday!! And of course he's teaching baby sister all his tricks- SIGH!

Julie & Patrick said...

Well, the good news is you can cancel the membership at the gym, because by the sounds of it, you are getting a workout at home chasing him around! I suppose these kiddos are making up for the lost time they spent confined to a crib and now the world is theirs to discover :)

Julie R

Pam said...

BOY DO I UNDERSTAND THIS!!!! :) Sounds like my own Mr. M. :))))) I randomly look at Joel and say, "God knew that I could handle him or we wouldn't have him, right? RIGHT?!" AHHAHAH!! Glad I'm not the only one living this adventure. :)

The Pfeiffer Family said...

Having two boys myself this list makes me smile and laugh. My oldest was walking...well more like running at 9 months and getting into everything!! He disassembled all child safety door knobs, locks, etc and would climb over gates. It is amazing how creative they can be at such a young age to get what they want. They are older now, but go nonstop from the moment they wake up until they go to sleep at night. At times I question my sanity of bringing a baby girl into my already nonstop life, but can't wait until she comes home.:-) Hang in there....they grow up WAY too fast.

April :-)