Friday, August 1, 2008

Not in control!


I have heard many stories of the woes people who are adopting run into with the various government agencies. You try so hard to get all your paperwork together and done correctly and in on time, and then some unknown person in some unfamiliar government agency messes things up and you realize once again...you are not in control of this process called adoption. This week, we have come across a stumbling block of our own...although one I hope that can be quickly corrected. Immigration is saying that they have not yet received our home study and so they have not sent us our I-171H. For those of you who don't know what that is, don't worry, we don't either. :) We just know that it is another form we have to have and one that must go to India. The problem is that we DID send them our home study and it was in the same packet with the application we filed with them before we were fingerprinted. All that jumbled mess to say this...Aaaaaahhhhhhh! O.k. I know we will get it taken care of, but it is frustrating to have them lose something we worked so hard to get together. So, I am just praying that they will find our home study and I will rest in the fact that although I am not in control...and that is very hard for me...my God is. :)

7 comments:

Amy said...

I pray you get your I171-H soon! I have had so many friends who have encountered the same delay. They eventually got it - it just took some time. I pray you will hear something quickly!

Oh, my henna lasted about a week. I think it depends on your skin type and lotions/soaps that you use. I have been told that some people have had theirs last a month or so. I want a tattoo too ;).

The Labontes said...

It's amazing how very precious our paperwork becomes through this process. We had to turn in our legals to the probate court, and I kept on saying, "the ORIGINALS!" I didn't want to part with something we had worked SO hard for. I'm sure it will be straightened out.

Just a note: We got Max's referral the day after I faxed our I171-H to Tami :)

Fenwick 5 said...

Candace,I hope they find your home study,maybe they will find it.We are starting on filing our I800 A packet this week for fingerprints.I hope all goes well and I hope the find yours soon.That is so great that you guys sponsor a child,making a difference one step at at time...Gidget

Kristi W. said...

Lame! I'm sure they'll get it figured out, but at the worst I suppose your home study agency can send them another. Our home study agency were the ones to send ours in to CIS. Hope it gets straightened out soon before there's another big round of referrals! :)

Kristi

Peter and Nancy said...

Aaargh! I'm sorry you had such frustrating news . . . I was laughing when you said you didn't know what the form was -- I was just like that, and always had to look up which documents where which. :o) Even now, when people ask "what happens after NOC?" etc., I still have to look it up! It's all a blur. Praying that it all works out QUICKLY,
Nancy

Pam said...

Candice,
Have you never heard my fingerprinting story? It took me EIGHT MONTHS, count them, EIGHT MONTHS in order to get our home study approved. I don't have good fingerprints. Like, they are barely there. We couldn't do anything until we had those silly things approved! It was a nightmare, but we finally got it all straightened out. I ended up in the state crime lab being fingerprinted for goodness sakes! It's funny now, but it was so not funny then. I know in hindsight we needed that in order to get in the right spot for our Micah. Still living through it is hard. Praying it's all sorted out soon! ;)

Amy said...

Thanks! You can get daddy diaper bags from baby boutiques online or places like Target or Babies R Us. I ordered a mini Indian flag from Color Fast Flags online and decided to order the patch too.