Sunday, August 31, 2008

Living in the Shadows

I am reading an AWESOME book that I wanted to comment on. I hope that everyone will go get a copy to read. The book is called "Red Letters" by Tom Davis. I purchased the book from a discount place online, but if you purchase the book in a regular store, a portion of the proceeds goes to help orphans in Africa!

The book shares about the pandemic of HIV/AIDS and how it is affecting children all over Africa. It also asks the question, "Why is the church sitting idly by and letting this destruction happen?" It is so thought provoking and heart wrenching. I love how the author describes it...

"So why don't we do more to help others? Sadly, many of us live in a world of shadows. In the realm of shadows, we seek only those things that help us remain in the fog of comfort and safety."

Wow! That so describes me sometimes. I often find myself overwhelmed with the problems around the world, or the ones I'm dealing with here, and find myself retreating into my safe, comfortable little world where I don't have to think about it and don't have to respond.

I know the Lord is trying to gently pursuade me to quit living in the shadows...I feel like I am taking baby steps. I wonder where they will lead? :)

3 comments:

Amy said...

I love that book! It makes me want to do something!!!!!

Unknown said...

Candice,
I am Tom’s assistant here at Children’s HopeChest. I was looking at your beautiful family and wondering where you are adopting from? I am glad you liked "Red Letters" and it impacted you. Many Blessings, Nicole

Peter and Nancy said...

After learning more about the plight of children in India, Africa -- and even in our own foster system -- of how very blessed I have been, and how I should choose to make my life about helping others. Blessings to you as you continue to discover how God is speaking to you,
Nancy