Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Holidays and Family



At each holiday that falls during the year, I am reminded once again of how blessed I am to have family.  My family is very close in relationship, even though we live far apart.  We make every effort to get together whenever possible, and there is no place we would rather be than with family.  If we have any type of break in our schedules, we travel somewhere in the US to stay with another family member and visit for a while!  My kids are so lucky to have right now 4 great-grandma's, 2 great-grandpa's, 2 sets of grandparents, and many, many, many aunts, uncles and cousins!  I was fortunate enough to marry a man who comes from the same type of family.   

David's family, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, all used to get together every Sunday afternoon for lunch at his Ma-maw's and Pa-paws house.  After Pa-paw passed away it went to one Sunday a month.  Now, we still get together once a month, but on a Friday night.  I love that everyone just knows that it's important and if at all possible, everyone is there.

As our families grow...we get more children, get married, move away, etc., this gets harder and harder, but we keep it a priority.  I know not many families have this opportunity and I feel very blessed and thankful.  As I look at these pictures from our Easter get-together, I pray that I can instill this same love and devotion to family in my children that I grew up with myself!

6 comments:

Amy said...

I am so glad your children have so many sets of relatives in their life. It is SO important to spend time with family!

I love the pics :)

Cheri said...

LOVE these pictures! i need to take some pictures up at mamaw's...what a beautiful backdrop. God's backgrounds are always the best. micah fits in perfectly with your family. it seems like he's just always been here. i love you guys!

Peter and Nancy said...

I love having our parents close by, too. One of my prayers is always that we will have at least some of our kids and grandchildren close by (or within driving distance, at least!).

You all look so good together!
Happy Easter,
Nancy

Coffman said...

What a beautiful family! I enjoy reading your blog and still can't believe our Gotcha Days were one day apart. Pretty amazing how God intertwines our lives.
Love to you and your family-Robin

The Pfeiffer Family said...

You are right that family is so very important. It is wonderful that your family has made gatherings together a priority. It sure doesn't seem to happen that much in our society today. I wish my children had more living relatives than they do, but we enjoy spending time with the family we have.

April :-)

Fenwick 5 said...

Candace,It is such a blessing to hear that your family is so close and likes being together.You don't find that too often in the world today. I just love the brown dresses!! I wear lots of brown!! This is a great family picture!! Glad things are going well for you,Gidget
P.S. Still waiting on that CALL!!