Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Like he's always been...


Here are a couple of pictures from a friends birthday party at Chuck-E-Cheese (my least favorite place in the whole world.)  :)  Micah did so well.  He seems to adjust so quickly to things.  He just clings and watches for a minute and then he is ready to go!  He had lots of fun riding the little rides.  I think he would have stayed for hours and hours.  He also ate 2 pieces of pizza and some birthday cake!  I haven't found much food that he doesn't like.

  • The last 2 weeks I have seen so much that Micah is picking up.  I can't believe it is happening so quickly.  He is dancing now, just a little, when he hears music.  
  • Now when he throws something down, he says, "uh oh!"  It's too cute.  
  • When he gets our cell phones or his toy one, or a little camera or anything electronic looking, he holds it up to his ear and says, "hi!"  
  • He has also started saying, "mama" this last week!  He says it when he sees me or if I am leaving the room. Of course that melts my heart!  He has said, "da,da" from the beginning, but now he says it when he sees David.  It's so cool.  
  • He has gone to the nursery twice now on Sundays and has done very well...no crying at all! 
  • Yesterday, he actually did the sign language sign for "more" when he wanted his snack!  I was so excited.  I taught some basic sign to all my kids before they could speak...words like please, more, done, etc.  Micah has been screaming at us when he wanted more food, so I started with him on the signs and was so shocked yesterday when he looked up at me, pointed to his snack on the desk across the room and did the sign for "more."  Of course I had to get up right away and get him some. :)
  • I have a little climber on my hands.  Last week he climbed 14 stairs from our den to the upstairs.  He was so proud.  Then, I went in the girls room where they were playing on the floor and I found Micah on the 3rd rung of the bunk bed ladder.  We are going to have to watch him like a hawk!
I am amazed at how fast he is learning and soaking stuff in.  I am also amazed at how it feels like he's always been here with us.  I find that I have even already assimilated him into our family and it doesn't even feel like Micah was adopted.  Someone asked me recently if I loved Micah yet like I love my bio children.  You always wonder if you will, I guess, if you have ever considered adoption.  I can only answer from our experience and the miracle God worked in our hearts.  I told this person..."It is strange, but I loved Micah before I ever met him.  I know that God is the Father to the fatherless which means God himself was Micah's father and loved him like only a father can.  I cannot fully explain it, but I truly feel like since I was willing to open up my heart and take the step toward Micah, that God poured His love for Micah straight into my heart and let His love fill me and flow through me so that I felt this unexplainable love for a child I had never met.  I think He did this for me until I could hold Micah myself and get to know him and fall in love with him all over again in person."  And...I have!

10 comments:

Fenwick 5 said...

Candace,Cute pics!! It is so amazing how you can love a child before you ever lay eyes on a picture. Micah is so cute. Sounds like he is passing some major milestones,it must be so exciting to watch him advance and grow. I love Maiya with all my heart,just as the boys and we are still waiting for the CALL. Have a great day!! Gidget

Sara said...

Thank you for being so faithful with your updates, Candice! I can not tell you how encouraging it is to see how well Micah is doing. He is just adorable!
-Sara

Todd and Michele said...

What a beautiful family. Micah sounds like a joy and really at alot of the same stages as Dreyden. Can you tell me how old he is. I don't know if I saw his birth date.

ichele

Peter and Nancy said...

The climbing was definitely the bane of our existence for a while, too! (Especially with bunk beds in the boys' room!!) It sounds like Micah is doing wonderfully, and was the perfect plan for your hearts and family.
-- Nancy

ColleenC said...

Love the post! And love, love that he's doing so well! A little heartbreaker there for sure!

The Pfeiffer Family said...

What a fun update to read. Micah is doing great!!! I can relate to loving somebody you have never met. I am amazed how much I think about and love our daughter and I don't even know what she looks like. God is faithful to sustain us until we can hold the precious child He has planned for us. So glad you continue to update your blog. I enjoy reading about how the adjustment is after all the waiting is done.

April :-)

Amy said...

Micah sounds like he is doing super - it so great to hear! He is of course adorable! I love how adoption births such a love in your heart even before you have a face to gaze at or even a little one to hold.

Pam said...

Candice,
I believe that the time invested in prayer, work, emotions, finances, everything begins the process to true love. You don't invest in something so much for the love not to follow. I was talking with a friend who has 6 bio kids and two foster kids. she was telling me she never thought it was possible to love an adopted child as much as bio child, but she does. I too am amazed at how God brings families together. He is a doll...and I still love the name! LOL

theheartofachild said...

That is a beautiful picture of describing your love for Micah! Thanks for sharing!

The Labontes said...

Well put, Candace. It's amazing how you love them before ever holding them. They are just yours.
Kristy