Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mumbai

This Thanksgiving weekend, as terrorists attacked hotels and restaurants frequented by American and British tourists, I felt in some small way, connected to what was happening there in Mumbai, India. That was kind of strange for me...feeling a connection to a place where I have never been and to a people I have never seen. Now, anything I read on India in the magazines, newspapers, or see on the news, I stop and pay attention. Before it was easy to ignore...someplace far away with no connection to me. It is funny how a little child can change your heart and your life even when you have never met. In our case now, it is two little children.

MICAH, of course, is the first child...our little boy in Kolkata. Thankfully he is nowhere near what happened this weekend. Mumbai is on the southwestern coast and Kolkata is near the northeastern coast. However, it is his home country and one that I will be visiting soon and that makes it so much more personal for me. I am all the more anxious now to get to him and bring him home so that at least we are all together and I can try my best to keep him safe.

GANTHIMATHY, is the second child. She is our little Compassion sponsored child and she actually lives south of Mumbai. We were hoping to be able to visit her when we go to pick up Micah, but now we are uncertain if travel will be safe for us in that area. All weekend I could not help but think of her and her family and pray that they would remain safe. I am also praying that they will come to know the Lord in a personal way, so that in the face of the danger and poverty they face on a daily basis, they will know that God is holding them in His hands.

My heart is full. I have so much to be thankful for. Today, I am thanking God for 2 small Indian children I have not met...yet!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I feel the same way - so connected to this event. I wish I could help in some way (other than praying). I pray your sponsored child is safe.

I did not get to watch the 20/20 special. Our ABC channel showed a local Iron Bowl football special instead. I hate to hear that it was so negative - I guess it was good I missed it.

Peter and Nancy said...

I think it's amazing how children change your life -- I'm sure your first babies changed everything, and now this newest baby is doing it too, plus your Compassion baby . . .
Happy Thanksgiving,
Nancy