Saturday, February 20, 2010

First Gotcha Day!






Believe it or not, yesterday was Micah's first "Gotcha Day" or "Forever Family Day!" I cannot believe that one year ago yesterday we were picking him up at the orphanage! Time has passed by so quickly, and yet it also seems like he has been with us forever.

I had a wonderful idea for a party to celebrate the day, but as it turns out, I am very sick from the chemo. I knew there was no way I could plan anything, so I had resigned myself to just remembering the day in my mind. That is where my wonderful mother (Nana) and husband stepped in. I had recently purchased an Indian cookbook called "New Indian Home Cooking" recommended by my friend, Pam. My mom looked through it, found a couple of recipes she thought would work, she made a list, and then off went my husband to the store and, after 3 trips, he found all the ingredients. :) My mom cooked all day and decorated the table with trinkets from our trip to India. My husband got everyone dressed and invited his parents (Grandmother and Grandaddy) over, and...we had a GREAT celebration for Micah! Although I could not eat very much, we had a delicious menu that I would like to try again someday when I feel better.

Tandoori Murgh (Barbecued Chicken)
Phul Gobhi Salad (Stir-Fry)
Meethe Chawal (Sweet Rice)
Curried Potatoes
Lassi (Yogurt Drink)
Chai Tea

Thank you mom and David for making the day special for me and for Micah. It was all that I wanted and more!

8 comments:

Kristi W. said...

Happy Forever Family Day to Micah and your family!!! I am so sorry that you are feeling sick from the chemo...sounds like you have some awesome support though. How wonderful to have the day honored in the way you were hoping! Those recipes look and sound very delicious!!

:)Kristi W.

The Pfeiffer Family said...

Wow! I can't believe it has already a year since Micah has been home. Happy Forever Family Day to you all! I am so sorry you were not feeling well. I love how God uses people in our lives to fulfill out heart's desires.How wonderful that your mom and husband prepared such a wonderful celebration for you and the family on such a special day.

April :-)

Fenwick 5 said...

Looks like you had a great day with family and I love that table decor.Hope u feel better soon!:) Gidget and Family

Laura said...

You know, if you would have been feeling better, your family would have missed the blessing of ministering to your heart the way they did. It will be so much more memorable that way. How touching that they went to so much trouble to honor and celebrate your family day!! Happy Gotcha Day!
Laura

Traci said...

Happy Gotcha Day! I remember anxiously awaiting the blog posts as you went to get Micah & reading them over again as we waited. Your journey both to get Micah and now has been a great testimony to the Lord's faithfulness & provision. I pray you are feeling better soon. - Traci

Sara said...

Happy Gotcha Day! You look great in the picture! Sorry you're still not feeling well. So thankful for all that God has done for your family already through Micah...and all that is to come!

Peter and Nancy said...

What a wonderful Mom and husband you have! I always joke that my love language is having other people cook for me . . . but I think the labor of love for your first Forever Family Day beats all. You all look marvelous in your Indian outfits, and I love the little toy autorickshaw on the table. :o) Congratulations on celebrating your first year together!

I will keep on praying for you as you feel so awful. Sure wish I could take the sickness away somehow -- but I'll keep on walking beside you in prayer.
Nancy

The Labontes said...

You guys all look fabulous! I'm glad that the day was celebrated - I'm not surprised at all that your supports pulled things together and made some wonderful memories. A day made more precious by the unexpected. Continued prayers for you to feel better, and grow to tolerate the necessary treatments!!
Kristy