Sunday, March 15, 2009

Musings of a 4-year old!

Well, Micah has been home for 2 1/2 weeks.  He is doing well, but it has not all been a bed of roses.  I like to write the good stuff, but the reality of the hard stuff is there lurking in the background.  We have found out that Micah didn't really have much of a sleeping schedule in the orphanage...not really a surprise.  How can you get all the babies to sleep at the same time?  So, our biggest issue right now is getting Micah to go to sleep for his nap and bedtime.  Once asleep, he will stay asleep usually, but getting him to go down can be an hour long process of crying, screaming, pulling hair, thrashing around on the bed...and that's just me. :)  Just kidding.  I am exhausted though.

The girls have been so wonderful with Micah.  It seems like Hallie grew up so much just in the  10 days we were gone.  She is such a big helper to me with Micah.  I don't know what I'd do without her!  Emma is good with him, but gets side-tracked a little more easily. :)  Nathan is having to adjust the most I think.  After all, he was my only baby boy.  He has done remarkably well and loves Micah.  He likes being the big brother and having Micah sleep in his room.  He does not like, however, that Micah screams at him and tries to grab his cereal, etc.   He hasn't said alot, but I know that his little mind is processing stuff all the time.  I wanted to write it down before I forgot two of the conversations we've had during the last 2 weeks.

The first was on the way to church and just out of the blue...
"Mom, does Micah have a family?"
"Yes, Nathan, we are his family."
"No.  I mean does he have a family like him at the airport?"
"Yes, he does, but they couldn't take care of him and help him to grow big and strong."
"So they gave him to another family?"
"Yes, they gave him to us so that we could take care of him and he could be part of our family."
"Ok."

The second was after I came home from the doctors visit with Micah and he had a band-aid...
"What is that for?"
"Micah got kind of like a shot.  They took some of his blood to check it."
"Is his blood brown?"
"No, his skin is brown, but his blood is red, just like yours."
"Ok."

Wow...the musings of a 4-year old.  I didn't realize all that was going on inside his head, but I'm glad that he just takes it all in and moves on, ok with the answers I have given.  He is such a sweetie.  I'm glad that he will have 1 more year at home with me and Micah before he heads off to Kindergarten.  I'm loving watching my little boy grow up.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I am glad everyone is adjusting well. I pray Micah will start to love nap and bed time :). Those little conversations with your son are so cute! Thanks for sharing - it is amazing what goes on in a child's thoughts.

Heather said...

What great accounts from Micah's big brother! I love hearing how children process information.

Heather

Peter and Nancy said...

What a thinker you have in Nathan! How neat that he's an open book, and so curious.

We had a really hard time of it with sleep in the first 2-3 months or so. If you need a little sympathy, or want to hear what we tried with Anya Rashi us, you can e-mail me (and I'll share my phone number if that would feel helpful). Everything feels harder when you're sleep-deprived -- hang in there!

My e-mail is pleschke@sbcglobal.net

Hugs,
Nancy

Julie & Patrick said...

It is interesting to hear how all the kids get along together. Sounds like things are falling into place too. Sleep seems to be the most difficult adjustment for everyone. Hope Micah's schedule comes around soon :)

Julie R