Tuesday, September 30, 2008

God, Me and Poverty.


The new question at RLC is..."What verse or passage of scripture has touched you or changed your thoughts on poverty and how the Lord sees it and responds to it?"

Strangely enough, my mind flew to a passage of scripture in Philippians 4:10-19. I grew up very familiar with verse 19..."and my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." However, just as recently as last year, the Lord opened my eyes to the rest of that passage. Paul was talking about learning to be content. He was thanking the Philippians for providing for him when he had need...when no other body of believers would.

Now, what does that passage have to do with poverty? Well, verse 19, the one we claim so frequently for ourselves, was actually a promise from God, through Paul, for those who were giving to those in need. It kind of shocked me. I realized that God promised if we would care generously for those who have nothing and are suffering, then He would supply all of our needs. We would not have to worry about giving too much and then not being able to care for ourselves!

The problem with me is the "learning to live content." I love a quote I ran across in my devotions a couple of months ago. It is by C.S. Lewis and it says, "God gives where He finds empty hands." I love it! Usually my hands are so full of stuff and wants and desires for things for myself here on earth, that they are "too full to fill." I would love to let go and let God fill my hands so abundantly that His gifts would pour out to those in need! ...back to my knees! :)

4 comments:

Kristi W. said...

This is GOOD! Your post was like a mini-devotion!!! We could all use that reminder...thanks!

:) Kristi

Amy said...

Really good stuff - thanks for blogging!

Brandi said...

Thanks for those thoughts. . .SO true!

Brandi

Kevin J Bowman said...

Truly wonderful thoughts!

It is so easy to forget that Jesus when asked by the rich man what he could give up for the Kingdom, Christ replied, "Everything!"

Thank you!