Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Road Less Traveled

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I heard a comparison today between Robert Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken," and the scripture in Matthew 7:13-14, which compares 2 gates. In the poem, the author chooses the path less traveled by and says that his choice made all the difference. In Matthew, Christ says, "For the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those who find it." The question was then asked of the comparison..."What path in your life have you followed that my have been the "path less traveled by?"

Now, neither the poem nor the scripture is speaking about adoption specifically, but that is the first thing that came to my mind. Adoption is definitely the path less traveled by, and unfortunately, there are few who seem to enter this gate and experience the life and blessing that adoption brings. Adoption is a huge step of faith, and I am beginning to think that FAITH is the road less traveled by. It surely leads to LIFE, and without making the decision to step out in faith, we miss so much of God's blessing in our lives. I am sorry to say, there are not very many times I have stepped out in faith to follow where I feel God leading. It is easier to step out if you feel like it all works on paper, or if it is within your control, etc. But, by hesitating, or choosing the clearer path, we miss seeing and experiencing the MIRACLES of God! In our journey through life, I wish these experiences were the norm instead of just occasional occurances!

What would life be like if we all "took the road less traveled by?" I think it would make "all the difference!"


5 comments:

Fenwick 5 said...

Candice beautiful and inspiring post,thankyou for making my morning more of a blessing. I agree and this post takes my heart back a step to reflect on recent dreams that I believe God gave me, but up a step! Being still and knowing God is GOD. Loving this morning and so thankful 4 all things. Gidget

Anonymous said...

So true . . . I sometimes wonder if more people would be moved to consider Christ if we all lived a little more on the less traveled road. I'm afraid that sometimes the world can't tell that we're Christians, except by what we're against, when we should be known for our great love.
Nancy

JenDockery said...

Just wanted to let you know that Paul and I had talked about adoption but that dinner we had at Steve's Landing with you, David and the kids is the point we really made up our mind.

Thank you for that!!!

The Pfeiffer Family said...

Great post, Candice! I totally agree with you. Boy can I relate to when you said "I am sorry to say, there are not very many times I have stepped out in faith to follow where I feel God leading. It is easier to step out if you feel like it all works on paper, or if it is within your control, etc." I am so thankful that I had faith and stepped out into the unknown with the adoption of our precious daughter. What a miracle she is!

April :-)

Miche said...

I loved reading through some of you adoption stories; we just started the path to get our daughter in India; I'm sure I'll be coming back to ask for advice as we get closer to bringing her home. :)